Saturday 18 June 2016

Animal Emergency Waiting Room

The people behind the counter and the ones in the back, with the scrubs on, are genial and accommodating. The patients are not. I look at the humans with their animals and see worry and sadness. I feel the same worry and sadness rising in me, shivering upwards from the gut to the esophagus. It bleaches out my skin like a cold blush.

My cat is next to me waiting to be seen. Of course, I remember the first day you sat in my lap at the foster home, when you walked over and chose me, or when I took you home for the first time and you blinked and sniffed and tentatively stepped out into my life. Now you tap me with a paw like a human taps someone on the shoulder. You curl up next to me, often reaching out to clasp a stray hand. You tell me you need me and I, in return, need you too.

Remembrances like these sit on all the faces in the Animal Emergency Waiting Room, and I can see them, but there is hope also, desperate, defenceless, and uncertain hope. 


Christian Martius (2016)